These pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies combine two delicious fall flavors and will satisfy all your sweet cravings! They’re made with real pumpkin and pumpkin spice and rolled in sweet cinnamon sugar. They snickerdoodle cookies are soft and chewy and taste out of this world!
😋 Taste and features
- Soft and moist cookies
- Pumpkin flavored cookies dusted with cinnamon sugar
- Easy to make and freezes well
Snickerdoodles have been around since the 1800’s and while the unique name of these cookies are ambiguous they are undeniably delicious! The base ingredients of snickerdoodles are similar to sugar cookies but the addition of cream of tartar changes the texture of them to become soft and pillow like.
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Cream of Tartar: This is a leavening agent that will help the cookies rise and also provide a tangy taste!
- Cinnamon & Pumpkin Spice: Cinnamon is a classic flavor in snickerdoodles and pumpkin spice amps up the pumpkin puree in the cookies.
- Pumpkin Puree: Make sure you use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
Before you start: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Step 1. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin spice in a bowl and set aside. Whip butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a bowl for 4 minutes on medium with an electric mixer.
Step 2. Add pumpkin puree, egg and vanilla to the wet mixture and then slowly incorporate dry ingredients.
Step 3. Chill cookie dough in the fridge before baking and then roll cookies into balls, roll in the sugar mixture and then bake at 350F for 12-13 minutes.
Step 4. Don’t forget to let your pumpkin snickerdoodle cookies cool before eating!
👩🍳 Top tips
- Mix room temperature butter and sugar until the mixture until the mixture turns light and fluffy
- Incorporate ingredients by scraping the sides of the bowl as you are mixing
- Chill cookie dough before baking to prevent them from spreading too much in the oven
- Thoroughly mix the sugar-cinnamon mixture before dipping in your cookies or your cookie color may become uneven
If you don’t have cream of tartar on hand you can swap it with baking powder. Replace cream of tartar and baking soda with 3 teaspoons of baking powder.
🧺 Storage tips
- Room Temperature: Store at room temperature wrapped in an an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Fridge: Cool cookies completely and store them in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Cookie Dough: Roll cookie dough into individual balls before placing them in an airtight container or freezer safe bag. They will be good for up to 3 months but note the date of when it was made on the container! Thaw cookie dough for 20-30 minutes before baking.
- Baked Cookies: Cool cookies completely and then place them in an airtight container or freezer safe bag and put in the freezer for up to 3 months. They will be good for up to 3 months but note the date of when it was baked on the container! Thaw cookies at room temperature or microwave before eating.
🔎 Related recipes
If you love cookies as much as I do…here are a few more easy recipes you can check out!
- 1 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour (180 Grams)
- 8 tbsp Butter (113 Grams)
- 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar (65 Grams)
- 1/2 Cup White Granulated Sugar (50 Grams)
- 1 Egg (Grade A Large)
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree (60 Grams)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tbsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (113 Grams)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon (11 Grams)
- Heat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, pumpkin spice, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electrix mixer for 4 minutes on medium until light and fluffly. Add egg, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract to this mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Divide the dough up and then roll them out into cookie balls. Dip cookie balls in sugar mixture and then chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes and cool before enjoying.