This double chocolate zucchini bread tastes moist and rich but packed full of fiber! I love that for this recipe you get to have your cake and eat it too! It’s easy to make and is an indulgent way to get your greens in! Double up the chocolate flavor with cocoa powder and chocolate chips!
😋 Taste and features
- Extra moist because of greek yogurt
- Doesn’t require you to salt or remove water from zucchini
- One bowl only
- Uses oil instead of butter (no waiting around for it to come to room temperature)
- Creates one perfect 9″ x 5″ inch double chocolatey zucchini loaf!
🛒 Ingredient notes
- Zucchini: Just a cup and a half of grated zucchini for this recipe!
- Cocoa Powder: I use regular cocoa powder but dutch process cocoa powder will give your bread a more mild flavor.
- Flour: All purpose flour will give your bread structure – no fancy flours necessary.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar keeps you bread moist due to the molasses and it will give it extra flavor.
- Oil: Use any type of oil but vegetable oil has the most mild flavor, you can use olive oil but it will flavor the bread.
- Eggs: 2 Eggs will bind the recipe and help with the rise!
- Chocolate Chips: Feel free to add extra if you want to up the chocolate flavor!
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Helps the bread rise as this bread does not use yeast!
- Salt: Just a dash!
Before you start: Heat oven to 350 F and prepare 9″ x 5″ inch pan by greasing it and adding parchment paper.
Step 1. Grate zucchini with a box grater and place in a large bowl.
Step 2. Then add in greek yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs and brown sugar to the zucchini mixture and mix till just combined.
Step 3. Add all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into the mixture and mix again.
Step 4. Finally fold in chocolate chips and then pour into loaf pan.
Step 5. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it into the bread.
🔪 How to grate zucchini
- Box Grater: Use the largest holes (my preferred way of grating zucchini)
- Food Processor: Be careful not to end up pureeing the zucchini
- Not enough zucchini? Swap it with a mashed banana or a grated apple/applesauce!
- Want more fiber? Swap out the 1 cup of all purpose flour with 1/3 whole wheat flour and 2/3 cup all purpose flour! If you want to learn more about whole wheat substitution you can read this article here!
🙋 Frequently asked questions
What variety of zucchini should I buy?
For this recipe I use “Black Beauty Zucchini” as it is the most popular type of zucchini in the U.S. but I think other varieties could be subbed out as they are so mild in flavor! I’ve also come across a few recipes that list zucchini sizes as medium or large which can be a little ambiguous but I’ve fixed this issue as I noted the weight of the zucchini in the recipe card to reduce confusion!
🔎 Related recipes
Want other easy to make chocolate recipes? Here are a few more you can check out!
Moist Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Box Grater or Food Processor
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour (120 Grams)
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder (50 Grams)
- 1 1/2 Cup Zucchini (186 Grams)
- 1/3 Cup Greek Yogurt (93 Grams)
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil (120 Grams)
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar (150 Grams)
- 3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (130 Grams)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Heat oven to 350F and grease one 9"x5" inch bread pan.
- Grate zucchini with a box grater and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk in greek yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs and brown sugar to the zucchini mixture until just combined.
- Add all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into the mixture until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and then pour into loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it into the bread.