This is a perfect fall recipe to make – it’s full of fresh apples and classic fall spices. This apple loaf cake is dense and moist with the addition of sour cream! It’s a one bowl recipe that’s quick and easy to make – if you happen to go apple picking this is the perfect recipe to make with all the extra apples!
😋 Taste and features
- Flavored with fresh apples and cinnamon and all spice
- Glazed with a maple syrup glaze
- Similar to a pound cake without as many eggs
- 1 bowl and quick to make
🗒️ Step by step instructions
Before you start: Heat oven to 350F and prepare and grease a 9″x5″ pan.
Step 1. Whip room temperature butter, white sugar and brown sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add room temperature sour cream and mix until combined. The add in eggs 1 at a time until combined.
Step 2. Then pour in flour, cinnamon, all spice baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl and mix again. Next dice apple in small cubes and then add to the mixture.
Step 3. Pour batter into pan then bake for 45 minutes. Let loaf cake cool before putting on glaze. Make optional glaze by mixing powdered sugar, maple syrup and milk and then pour on cake!
👩🍳 Top tips
- Cut apple pieces small enough so that they are evenly distributes throughout the butter. If they are too large they may sink to the bottom!
- Use room temperature ingredients! Cold ingredients do not come together easily in the batter.
- Cool cake before adding glaze so that it sticks to the top better
- Whip sugar and butter thoroughly as this will create a lighter texture in the cake
While this cake is delicious on its own I added a maple glaze on top for additional flavor! If you’re not a fan here are a few variations!
- Add crushed nuts into the batter.
- Chop up the other 1/2 of the apple and sprinkle on top half way through baking so that you can see it on the top of the loaf.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar as a final touch instead of a glaze/
- Add 1 tsp of ginger powder into the batter for an additional kick!
No granny smith apples? Use Honeycrisps or Pink ladies! You want to use apples that will retain their structure even after baking!
No all spice? You can make your own by mixing 1:1:1 ratio with cinnamon, cloves and nut meg.
🧺 Storage tips
- Room Temperature: Store at room temperature in an an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Fridge: Cool loaf completely and store them in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Freezer:Cool apple cake completely and then place in an airtight container or freezer safe bag and put in the freezer for up to 3 months. It will be good for up to 3 months but note the date of when it was baked on the container! Thaw at room temperature or microwave before eating.
🔎 Related recipes
Carb lover? Me too! Here a few more moist bread recipes!
Moist Apple Cinnamon Loaf Cake
- 1 9"x5" inch Pan
Apple Loaf Cake
- 1 1/2 Granny Smith Apples (Small) (250 Grams)
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour (240 Grams)
- 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter (113 Grams / 1 Stick)
- 2 Eggs (Grade A Large)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream (240 Grams)
- 1/2 Cup White Granulated Sugar (100 Grams)
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar (100 Grams)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp All Spice
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp Salt
Maple Cinnamon Glaze
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (50 Grams)
- 1 tbsp Milk (15 Grams)
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup (40 Grams)
- Heat oven to 350F and prepare and grease a 9"x5" pan.
- Whip room temperature butter, white sugar and brown sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add room temperature sour cream and mix until combined. The add in eggs 1 at a time until combined.
- Then pour in flour, cinnamon, all spice baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl and mix again.
- Dice apple in small cubes and then add to the mixture.
- Pour batter into pan then bake for 45 minutes. Let loaf cake cool before putting on glaze.
- Make cinnamon maple glaze by mixing powdered sugar, milk and maple syrup and then add to bread on top.