The best light and crispy chocolate chip cookies ever! These malted milk chocolate chip cookies have a caramelized and nutty flavor that go perfectly with a glass of cold milk!
😋 Taste and features
- Light and crispy thin chocolate chip cookies
- Malted milk powder to give an extra umami flavor!
- One bowl chocolate chip cookie recipe
🖊 Recipe note
As much as I am a die hard fan of my soft double chocolate chip cookies because I love cakey cookies…we ended up eating the whole batch of these malted chocolate cookies for the rest of the week! They remind me a chocolate chip biscotti almost and would taste great dipped in coffee as well!
🗒️ Step by step instructions
Before you Start: Heat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 1. Whip light brown sugar, white granulated sugar and room temperature butter for 3 minutes on medium-high speed in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture and mix again.
Step 2. Next add malted milk powder, flour, baking powder and salt and mix again. Then mix in chocolate chips.
Step 3. Shape cookies evenly and then bake or 13-14 minutes.
👩🍳 Top tips
- Don’t over mix: Once you add your dry ingredients to the mixture you want to take care to make sure that you don’t over mix. The more you mix the more gluten forms and will cause tougher cookies.
- Use Parchment Paper: These cookies tend to spread out quite a bit as they bake so you want to make sure you use parchment paper instead of a silicone baking mat so they retain their shape better. Make sure you don’t crowd the cookie sheet. I would stick to 6 cookies max per tray!
- Room Temperature Butter: It’s tough to cream butter and sugar properly so make sure you take the butter an hour out before you start this recipe! Alternatively if you’re short on time you can cut the butter up into even sized cubes and microwave in 8 second spurts until its softened but not melted.
If you’re craving a double chocolate chip malted cookie I heard you can swap it out with “Ovaltine Chocolate Malt Drink Mix”. Alternatively adding some crushed nuts or even chopping up a bar of chocolate could be a delicious addition to these cookies!
🧺 Storage tips
- Room Temperature: Store at room temperature in an an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
- Fridge: Cool cookies and then store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Cookie Dough: Roll cookie dough into individual balls before placing them in an airtight container or freezer safe bag. They will be good for up to 3 months but note the date of when it was made on the container! Thaw cookie dough for 20-30 minutes before baking.
- Baked Cookies: Cool cookies completely and then place them in an airtight container or freezer safe bag and put in the freezer for up to 3 months. They will be good for up to 3 months but note the date of when it was baked on the container! Thaw cookies at room temperature or microwave before eating.
🙋 Frequently asked questions
- Use a cookie scoop/ice cream scoop – make sure that you scoop an even amount
- Roll cookies out by hand – I weighed each ball (60 grams each) so that they all baked evenly
- If they’re still too soft I would pop the batter in the fridge for 10 minutes to make it easier to roll out.
🔎 Related recipes
I love cookies because they’re relatively quick to make but pack so much flavor AND they’re easy to travel around with – here are a few of my other favorite cookie recipes!
Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Sheet
- 2 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour (270 Grams)
- 1/3 Cup Malted Milk Powder (42 Grams)
- 2 Eggs (Grade A Large)
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar (200 Grams)
- 1/2 Cup White Granulated Sugar (100 Grams)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (4 Grams)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (4 Grams)
- 1 tsp Salt (6 Grams)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whip light brown sugar, white granulated sugar and room temperature butter for 3 minutes on medium-high speed in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture and mix again.
- Next add malted milk powder, flour, baking powder and salt and mix again. Then mix in chocolate chips.
- Shape cookies evenly and then bake or 13-14 minutes.